Four Tips For Determining If You Have Dangerous Mold In The House

Mold can be extremely dangerous and cause many health problems if you are exposed to it. For this reason, it's always important to be cautious and on the lookout for possible signs that you have mold in the house. This way, you can call in mold removal professionals from a company like Colfax Corporation to take care of it. Here are four tips to help you determine whether or not you have a dangerous mold in the home:

  1. You Had Recent Basement Flooding: If you have recently had flooding in the basement, then you might have dangerous mold in your home. Since the mold exposure in the basement after flooding can be overwhelming and possibly dangerous, it's important to hire professionals for mold inspection even if there might not be any mold there. It's definitely better to be safe than sorry at this point. 
  2. There's Fog On the Windows: If there is fog developing on the windows, then this means that there is excess moisture in the home, which possibly means mold even in areas away from the windows since this is where the excess moisture could be coming from. It's best to search around the home and keep your nose out for possible smells that could indicate mold. You should also attempt to find the source of the excess moisture. Even if you don't have mold, if you call in mold removal professionals, they can help you locate the source of moisture, give you tips on fixing it, and determine whether or not there is actually mold in the home. 
  3. Mold Test Kit Is Positive: Using a mold test kit is definitely a good idea at least once per year or anytime your home has gone through some kind of water damage. You can simply purchase one of these kits in your local hardware store. If it does come back positive, you need to hire professionals for inspection and mold removal. Mold removal on your own can be dangerous, especially if you do not have the right equipment to protect your body and health. 
  4. You Notice a Smell When You Turn on Heat or Air: Mold is commonly found inside of the duct work of a home, which is why you might notice a musty smell when you turn on the air or heat. If you do notice this, let mold removal professionals know so that they know immediately where they should be looking. 

When you consider these four tips for determining whether or not there is mold in your home, you can take the right steps to getting it out of your home as soon as possible before it causes problems with your health. 

Share